Summertime! Helping Students and Raising Funds!
Summertime is here and OATHS is in full gear. We are helping homeless students enjoy, succeed, and stay in school even during the summer. OATHS has recently provided local homeless students with the following assistance:
- Welding equipment for a high school student who wants to become a welder!
- A backpack for a homeless high school boy who sleeps on a different couch almost every night. He didn’t just need the backpack for his schoolbooks. He also needed it to transport his clothes, and to carry canned goods from the food bank for his family.
- Funds so that kids can go to the Y-Camp atHorsethief Reservoir!
- Funds so students can take swimming lessons!
- Books for summer reading programs!
- A camera for a high school girl dreaming of becoming a photographer!
- Funds for students to take Driver’s Education classes so they can attend school and get jobs!
- Tires for a high school girl who was having trouble getting to school and her job because the tires on her car were bald, flat, and unsafe!
- Yearbooks for two homeless students who had worked all year on their schools’ yearbook but did not have the money to buy one for themselves!
- A trumpet for a fourth grade boy and a guitar for a high school student who both dream of becoming musicians!
We have been able to help more students because of the tremendous generosity of the citizens of Boise and Idaho. OATHS would like to thank the following organizations for their incredible support:
- IDAHO WOMEN’S CHARITABLE FOUNDATION for their incredible $10,000 grant that will allow OATHS to expand into all of the Treasure Valley!
- LITTLE BLACK DRESS CLUB for their generous grant of $1100!
- IDAHO COMMUNITY FOUNDATION SPOT-GRANT COMPETITION that was held in May at the Boise Centre on the Grove. OATHS was invited to give a presentation, got the most votes, and was awarded a grant of $3,500 on the spot!
- WESTSIDE DRIVE IN AND CHEF LOU AARON for helping us put on a fundraiser in May that raised over $5,000!
- MISS SKINNER’S FOURTH GRADE STUDENTS OF ST. JOE’S SCHOOL and the BISHOP KELLY HISTORY CLUB who worked all day at Westside greeting customers and collecting donations.
- THE SEVENTH GRADERS OF ST. JOES who held a car wash and raised over $220.00!
All of our hard work is paying off. OATHS has raised over $50,000 since it began just two years ago. We are looking forward to helping even more students during the 2012-2013 school year. Spread the word and join the cause! We will not stop until we have helped every homeless student in this State of Idaho enjoy, succeed, and stay in school! Have a great summer!
Here are a few of the great kids we've been lucky enough to help out recently...
More photos of our successful fundraiser at the Westside Drive-in...